Canadian Life Literacy Program
We are offering a series of Literacy workshops for newcomers!
These will provide education and experience in areas we figure are important for a successful settlement in Canada.
Dates will be confirmed soon
- Northern Outdoor Literacy
- Employment and Entrepreneurial Literacy
- Citizenship Literacy
- Technological Literacy
- Diversity Art Photography Competition and Exhibition
Northern Outdoor Literacy
- Family event!
- learn how to start a fire and compete in the firestarter championships
- build your own makeshift snowshoes and race to the finish line
- learn to make an emergency shelter
- enjoy a typical Canadian campfire lunch of hotdogs, smores, hot chocolate and bannick with maple syrup
- kids can join in events or toboggan
Employment and Entrepreneurial Literacy
- Employment Options will host an interactive round table discussion on employment barriers and tips on how to solve them
- Enterprise Temiskaming will host a discussion on small business start up and home based business
- Lunch provided
- Education on applying for Canadian citizenship
- When are you eligible?
- Assistance on completing application form
- Study tips
- Light supper provided
- IT skills are essential for most employment and volunteer opportunities
- Gain more computer literacy with the help of IT specialists
- Internet security and privacy
- navigating Word software
- troubleshooting individual problems and questions
Diversity Art Workshop and Exhibition
- Photography workshop provided by professional photographer
- Competition opens to depict “The First Time I Felt Canadian”
- Children and Adult categories
- Lunch provided
- Exhibition opens one month later with winners announced
Join us for a casual drop in session to meet new friends; enjoy a coffee; laugh about our Canadian experiences; share memories of your home country and get inspired about your future here.
Held every Tuesday morning. Please check Facebook group for current info on when and where.
Shop and Stop Fundraising Dinner
@ The Legion
Friday 28th April, 2017
Join us for our first fundraising dinner and enjoy a selection of vegetarian Indian curries.
Shop and Stops are a Kirkland Lake tradition where locals and out of towners would shop all day and then enjoy a meal at the Legion before heading home. They are now held by community groups and a great way to meet new friends and join in the community.
This is not a potluck, but a fundraiser for a big international event in November.
Children welcome. Shop and Stop tickets will be on sale soon.
Adults $12 Children (under 12) $6
Hope to see you there!
Royal Canadian Legion, 1 Summerhayes Ave (across from the OPP on Duncan Ave).
Enquiries: please email email@example.com or message on Facebook